Being a PDHPE teacher and lover of fitness, I really value time to work on my health and fitness. I’m so worried about impact of social media & screen use and see too many student spending time on their phones and iPads during breaks.
The school seriously felt alive & the smiles & laughter coming from the girls was one I will remember for ever. I did not see one phone or screen for the whole time! Amazing. I provided the opportunity & they created a moment.
- Kate did her research and decided she’d try something over a lunch time. Look Up Lunchtime was born, where students all “voluntarily” put their phones away for 30 mins. She quickly decided to seek support to run “Look Up Lunchtime” from leadership staff and set a date to be booked in the calendar. Get it locked in so that everyone has a chance to share their ideas for the event. That way more people feel shared ownership of the success!
- Gather some footage, interviews, statistics and evidence of the use of social media, gaming and screens in break times and its effect on well-being etc and collate in the form of an iMovie to music to appeal to the demographic of young people
- Present the video/presentation to the whole school in Assembly, Mentor Groups, Chapel…any meeting time with the students,followed by questions for reflection and other links to learning to stimulate thinking and evaluation of the impact of their behaviours.
- Place posters and window art around the School and place stimulating and thought provoking questions in the daily notices. Planed and coordinated the facilities and events for the day with a plan for set up and pack away. I asked for the support of staff and ensure all staff are aware of the event, because these sorts of moments in time require shared input!
- She set up handball courts, skipping, soccer, volleyball, dodge ball, grip ball, twister, totem tennis just Dance, art corners, puzzles etc around the whole school with music blaring. She used a range of resources and equipment around the school, ensuring that there are lots of alternatives to cater for as many of the interests as the staff could think of! They played music and invited everyone to get involved and enjoy seeing students connecting, playing and happy – away from their screens.
Like the Idea?
Kate would love for you to get Look Up happening in your school. Shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to get in touch with Kate and we can connect you. Feel free to cheer her on in the comments below as well. Be nice to each other friends, its a jungle out there!